The following article provides guidance on completing your Photo ID Verification check through Amiqus. If you require more information on Photo ID Verification checks for Right to Work, see our Right To Work support article.
- What if I do not have the form of ID requested?
1. What is a Photo ID verification check?
If you have been asked to complete a photo ID verification check, you will be required to provide a photo of either a valid passport, driving licence or national identity card as well as a photograph of yourself. Please note: You may be asked to include a unique number within the photograph of yourself as an extra security step. You can complete a photo ID check on your mobile or desktop device. If you need to take photos of your document from your mobile device, we suggest opening the request from that specific device. You must be 16 years and above to complete a photo ID verification.The results of the check will only be shared with the organisation that sent you the Amiqus request.
2. What happens to my image and information?
Your image and information are securely encrypted and uploaded for analysis by Onfido. We partner with them to undertake validation checks against the document you provide. We check the security features of your document which include, data positions, signature, microprint, holograms and facial recognition check.
3. How do I complete a Photo ID verification check?
If you have been asked to complete an Amiqus request that includes a photo ID check and you are unsure about how to complete it, please follow the steps below:
If you have received an Amiqus request email, open the email and select 'Start request'. If you have already started the request but you had previously exited the system, this button will have changed to 'Continue request'. Alternatively, if you have received a unique link, please click on the link. This will open up the Amiqus request.
Read the 'Amiqus data subject terms', tick the box and click 'Confirm and continue'.
Complete the 'Your details page', ensuring that you select a 'Title' and complete your date of birth. Then confirm that you have read and understood our 'data usage statement' by ticking the box and clicking 'Confirm and continue'.
Next, search for your address by selecting it from the drop down box underneath 'Address details' or by typing it in manually. You can do this by selecting 'I cannot find my address, let me type it in'. Then complete your 'Contact details'.
Depending on whether you have been asked to complete more than one check, you may have to complete other checks first. When you get to the 'Photo ID verification' stage, you will be given information about the photo ID check, the type of device needed to complete the check and the different forms of photo identification that you can upload. Click here to view the accepted forms of ID.
If you then select 'Continue', you will then be given instructions about how to take a take a photo of your ID document correctly and how to take a photo of yourself holding the unique code. Then select 'Continue' again.
You will then be asked to select the type of document you would like to upload. Once you have selected a document, you will then be given two options: 'Continue on phone' or 'Or, upload photo (no scans or photocopies)'.
If you choose to take a photo of your ID using a mobile:
- If you wish to take a photo of your selected photo ID using your mobile, please select the 'Continue on phone' option. You will then be given instructions on how to take a photo using your phone. Please select 'Continue'.
- You then have the option of scanning the QR code using your phone's camera, or alternatively you can send a link to your phone via text message.
- If you choose to take a photo of the QR code, a drop down box will then appear at the top of your phone screen. Please click that box and enable camera access.
- If you choose to select 'Send link via text message', you will be asked to enter your mobile number and then click 'Send link'. You should then receive a text message from 'Verify ID'. If you do not receive a text message within a couple of minutes, please click 'Resend link'.
- Once you receive the text message, follow the link and select 'Enable camera'. Please note: If you're completing the whole request on your mobile phone, you will not be asked to scan a QR code or send a text message to yourself.
- Next, select 'Take photo'. If you selected 'Passport', you will then be shown three photos that are not acceptable and one photo that is acceptable. Select 'Take photo' again and take a photo of your document, ensuring all the edges, corners and security features are visible. If you're happy with the photo, select 'Use photo'.
- You will then be asked to review the document. If the document is within the frame and easy to read select 'Yes, continue'. If you are not happy with the photo, click 'Try again'.
Please note: If you're uploading a driving licence or a national ID card, the system will also prompt you to take a photo of the back of the ID. If the photo is unclear and you are unable to see all the edges of the document, the organisation who sent you the request may ask you to complete another photo ID verification check.
Taking a photo of yourself holding the unique code:
- If the organisation that you are engaging with has requested a photo of you, you will then be given instructions on how to take a photo of yourself. If you have also been asked to include the unique code in the photo, please write the unique code on a piece of paper, press 'Continue' and then 'Enable camera'.
- Please hold up the piece of paper to include it in the photo of yourself, ensure that the code is visible and that the piece of paper does not cover your face. The unique code also indicates to organisations that the photo is 'live'. This is used as an anti-fraud measure which enables the organisation that you are engaging with to compare your photo against your ID without seeing you in person.
- Once you're happy with the photo, please select 'Yes, continue'.
- Finally, you will be asked to return to your computer. Then click 'Confirm and continue'. Please note: If you've completed the check on your mobile, you will be taken straight to the next stage of the request (if you have other checks to complete).
Tip: Your phone's camera may be set up to mirror the image, but when the photo is taken it should flip the right way around and make the code readable. You will see a preview before this is submitted.
If you choose to upload an image of your ID using a computer or laptop:
- If you wish to upload an image of your document from your computer/laptop, please select the 'Or upload photo (no scans or photocopies)' option.
- If you selected 'Passport' you will then be shown three photos that are not acceptable and one photo that is acceptable. Then select 'Upload photo'. This will then open your documents and you will be able to select the photo that you wish to upload. If you selected 'Driving licence' or 'National identity card' please select 'Or, upload photo (no scans or photocopies)'. This will also open your documents and you will be able to select the photo that you wish to upload.
- Once you have uploaded the image, you will be asked to check the readability. If you believe the photo is clear and all the edges of the document are visible, click 'Yes, continue'.
- If the organisation that you are engaging with has requested a photo of you, you will then be given instructions on how to take a photo of yourself. If you have also been asked to include the unique code in the photo, please write the unique code on a piece of paper, and press 'Continue'.
- You will then be able to take a photo of yourself with the unique code using your webcam. Once you are happy with the photo, select 'Yes, continue'. You will then have completed the photo ID verification check. If you have any other checks to complete, you will be taken to the next stage of the request.
4. What type of photo identification documents are accepted?
We can accept either a Passport, Drivers Licence or National Identity Card. (Your chosen form of ID must be valid on the date of completion)
Passport Requirements: You will be required to upload a clear photo of the photo page within your passport.
Drivers Licence Requirements: You will be required to upload a clear photo of the front and the back of your licence.
National identity Card Requirements: You will be required to upload a clear photo of the front and the back of your identity card.
5. How do I photograph my selected ID correctly? (With Examples)
When providing a document, please ensure that the details are as clear as possible.
- For a Passport, please capture the photo page ensuring that the "wet" signature is visible within the photo. If your signature is displayed on the page above the photo page, then both pages will need to be captured within the frame.
- For a Driving Licence, please ensure that you capture the front and back of the license as the system prompts you.
- For a National Identity Card, please ensure that you capture the front and the back of the card as the system prompts you.
- When taking the photo of your chosen ID, please ensure that all edges of the document are visible and there is no glare on the image. If the edges are not visible, the image is blurred or distorted, or if there is a glare, the photo will not be able to be processed.
Examples of acceptable and non-acceptable photos of ID:
Example of the "live" photo with the unique code:
6. Encountering issues uploading the ID
If you are encountering issues whilst uploading your ID, please see the following suggestions to troubleshoot the problem:
Camera and Microphone Permissions
If your permissions are "disabled" or "blocked", you will be unable to complete the Amiqus check as the site will not have the permissions enabled to open the required features (i.e. Camera and Microphone). You can grant temporary access by "enabling" or "allowing" access when prompted or through your permission settings on your device. For more information on how to manage these settings, please see our Camera and Microphone Permissions support article.
Other Browsers Restrictions
If you have been unable to complete your Amiqus check and it is not due to an embedded browser or permission issue, it may be related to your current browser. If you are unaware of the browser you are using, you can check this by visiting WhatIsMyBroswer.com. Once you have established the browser you are using, check that is it up-to-date and proceed to run any updates (if required). Alternatively, you could try using a different browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox etc, to complete your check.
If you have proceeded to follow all of the troubleshooting suggestions and still encounter issues, we would recommend that you attempt the check using an alternative device. Please ensure that the device has a built in camera to take a photo of your identity documents. Alternatively, you can take a photo (no scans or photocopies) of your identity document and upload it when prompted.
7. What if I do not have the form of ID requested?
If you do not have the form of Photo ID that was requested by the business that has sent you the Amiqus request, please let your contact at that business know and they will advise you how they wish you to proceed.
8. What if I do not have any ID?
If you do not have any form of Photo ID, please let your contact at that business know and they will advise you how they wish you to proceed.
9. Can I upload a different ID to the one that requested from me?
If the business that has sent you the Amiqus request, has requested a particular form of photo ID (such as a passport) but you do not have that form of photo ID and you wish to upload a different form, you should contact the business to let them know. They will be able to advise how they wish you to proceed. They may be required to send you a new photo ID check.
10. What if I do not have a working camera?
During the Photo ID check, once you have submitted the photo or scan of your ID you may also be asked to submit a photo of yourself. For more details on this process, please review the section Taking a photo of yourself holding the unique code. You can complete this check using a smartphone, tablet, laptop or a digital camera, providing that they have a camera function.
If you are using a smartphone, you can use the built-in camera to take the photo, similarly to taking a "selfie", using the front facing camera. However, if you do not have a smartphone, please see the following ways that you could complete this part of the check:
- If you have access to a digital camera you can have someone take a photo of you and upload it to your device. You can then upload this photo to Amiqus. (Please note, if you have been asked to display a unique code, please keep the window/page open on your device as if you exit it a new code will be generated for security purposes).
- If you have a friend or neighbour etc who has a smartphone, tablet, laptop or a digital camera that you could borrow to complete your checks.
- If the above are not suitable, you could ask to go into the business that you are engaging with to complete the check in person with them.
11. I am using Google Chrome on an Android and the 'Take photo' button isn't working?
If you are using Google Chrome on an Android device, you may experience an issue when clicking the 'Take photo' button which prevents you from progressing to the next stage of the photo ID verification check.
If you experience this issue, please follow the steps below:
- Ensure that you have a strong and stable internet connection.
- Please try to enable camera access by following the steps in this article: Change a site's camera and microphone permissions.
- If this is does not resolve the issue, please try an alternative browser such as Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox etc, to complete your check. Any checks that you have already completed will be saved.
- If you have proceeded to follow all of the troubleshooting suggestions and still encounter issues, we would recommend that you attempt the check using an alternative device. Please ensure that the device has a built in camera to take a photo of your identity documents.
- Alternatively, you can take a photo (no scans or photocopies) of your identity document and upload it when prompted. If you choose to use a desktop/laptop with a webcam, you can upload the photo of your ID document onto your desktop/laptop from your mobile phone/camera and select the option of uploading an existing photo. For further instructions on how to do this underneath here.
- If you have tried the above solutions but you're still unable to complete the photo ID verification check, you could try asking either a friend or neighbour etc who has a smartphone, tablet, laptop or a digital camera that you could borrow to complete your checks or you could ask to go into the business that you are engaging with to complete the check in person.
12. Can I bring my ID into the office instead?
If you are unable to upload your photo ID and wish to bring your ID into the office of the business that you are transacting with, please let your contact at the business know and they will be able to advise when you can go into the office. They can then complete the checks with you, in-person.